Search This Blog/Linked Pages

Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Dan Buettner: The Island Where People Forget to Die (NYTimes.com)

"The big aha for me, having studied populations of the long-lived for nearly a decade, is how the factors that encourage longevity reinforce one another over the long term. ...

[In 1943, a Greek war veteran named Stamatis Moraitis went to the United States for treatment of a combat-mangled arm. In his 60s he was diagnosed with lung cancer, and returned to the island of Ikaria, where he was born, to be buried. Now he is 97 - he says older - and cancer-free.]

"I had one last question for him. How does he think he recovered from lung cancer?

"“It just went away,” he said. “I actually went back to America about 25 years after moving here to see if the doctors could explain it to me.”

"... I asked him, “What happened?”

"“My doctors were all dead.”"

Full article: The Island Where People Forget to Die.